Why Get Travel Insurance for your Kilimanjaro Climb?
Climbing Kilimanjaro is an incredible and exciting adventure, and we want it to remain that way for you! Whilst the trek is not technical, hiking at high altitude in a wilderness environment inevitably comes with risks, and whilst nobody likes to think anything will go wrong, unforeseen events can unfold.
We value our guests and would like you to have the peace of mind and protection you need to ensure you are taken care of in circumstances such as trip cancellation, medical emergencies and medical repatriation. Travel insurance typically also covers lost or delayed baggage, flight delays and other events that can impact your trip. We therefore consider it imperative for Kilimanjaro trekkers to take out appropriate travel insurance.
In addition to your travel insurance cover, African Scenic Safaris has a company insurance policy which covers incidents such as accidents and theft, for both our clients and staff.
Things to consider when purchasing travel insurance:
- Ensure the policy covers Kilimanjaro and trekking up to 6,000m above sea level.
- In order to access emergency helicopter evacuation (subject to weather) from the mountain your insurance must meet this standard.
- Different policies provide different levels of cover, so please ensure you understand what is and is not included in your policy.
- Some policies operate on a reimbursement basis, which can mean a large outlay from you in the event of an emergency. Please check the small print.
- Your climb price includes evacuation via stretcher and vehicle from the mountain.
- We will contact you in advance of your climb to collect your insurance details and other medical and dietary information.
- Should you be travelling beyond the mountain, on safari or to Zanzibar, you may wish to consider additional cover through AMREF Flying Doctors, as the above helicopter evacuation service is not available. The cost is USD$10 per person and covers you for 30 days of travel. We can organise this on your behalf. This is not medical insurance.
- Sorry, but we are not insurance experts and therefore cannot review policies, however, with guidance from the rescue services we are able to provide their list of recommended travel insurance companies. Please enquire for more information.
- Your trip may be a once in a lifetime experience. No matter your choice of insurer, make sure your investment is well protected.